Monday, September 05, 2022

Ave Maria

​Last night, before slipping off into the land of Nod, I composed a beautiful post on Blogger. Goodness me, but it was at once poignant, humorous, insightful and wise. It related to the concert DJ and I attended at Sainte Chapelle. The posters on the fences at Notre Dame screeched at us to buy a ticket to see renditions of Ave Maria. So we bloody-well did. Sadly, for me, upon waking from my slumber I discovered (or failed to discover) that this blog had been deleted!  So here is another crack at it …

DJ had never heard any of the many ‘Aves’ that have been written, but I have been a secret admirer for quite some time. It was a risky proposition on my part, but we decided to rock along. 

Sainte Chapelle is glorious. Walking in the queue to the chapel was truly breathtaking. We had bought the less expensive €40 tickets, but we’re able to snaffle the front row. The poor sods in the next row ahead would have paid €50! Suckers!

The music, performed by a string quartet (there were four of these) and a gorgeous contralto. [They we’re probably all gorgeous, but the contralto was SUPPOSED to be gorgeous.]

Pachelbel was first on the list and his Canon soon filled the auditorium. Then followed the contralto with two versions of Ave Maria. The first drew a tiny tear to my eye as a result of the glorious music. They are pretty cunning, Christians, in the way they have marketed their wares over the centuries in music, architecture and art. While moved by these media I have happily remained a devout atheist. 

The evening was hot and the performers were dripping with sweat by the end, but one last encore of the first Ave brought the house down. A truly wonderful night. 

On the way home we stopped for a pichet (a big one) of rose at a cafe. I got in trouble with DJ for tipping €2.40. Probs this was a result of my incredibly good humour following a wonderful musical experience. 

So there you go. This post is probs more insightful, wise etc than the first one that I lost. It’s been a win-win all round. 

I have also been able to get an updated version of Blogger, so should have no more technical hitches to publication. 

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment