Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Aran jumpers

One of the sources of anticipated excitement about visiting the Isle of Arran in Scotland was the prospect of browsing through endless Aran jumper shops. Do YOU know about Aran jumpers?  Traditionally off-white, with cable patterns. I had one as a youngster that my mum had knitted. 

Anyhow, on Day 2 of our stay on Arran, I began casting about for these traditional jumper shops. Imagined entering the shop with head bowed to avoid banging it on the impossibly low doorway to this tinkle of a bell to announce my arrival. An earnest Aran jumper knitter would lift his/her head (no gender exclusion here) from furious knitting and ask if they could be of any help in finding the perfect Aran jumper for ME. 

Now, here’s the rub. You, the astute reader, will have by now anticipated the trap into which I had fallen. You will have understood the problem from my very careful - and quite deliberate - spelling of the word ‘Aran’. Yes, Dear reader, ARAN jumpers originate in the Islands of Aran, situated on the far western coast of Ireland. Being, as we are, visitors to Arran in Scotland, my dreams of Aran jumper browsing have been well and truly DASHED.

Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. Surely you could locate a 'fair isle' jumper is Scotland. I did buy a fair isle jumper kit there and it took me many a long hour to knit. I'm sure Jude could whip an Arran jumper up for you? The last time I saw a few of those cream cabled numbers was in Sri Lanka where they send out small schoolboys dressed in them to play cricket in the sweltering humidity and heat, The colonials have a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete